Translate

Monday, October 16, 2017

Did GM Abandon The Off-Road Market?


Dale Matson

Click On Photographs To Enlarge

No More Off Road?

There seems to be gradual not so subtle changes of the GM Four Wheel Drive SUVs and Trucks. My main question to GM would be, “Are you no longer making off-road vehicles”?
I bought my first Yukon in 1995. It was equipped with four-wheel drive and had good ground clearance. When my stock tires wore out, I put on BF Goodrich TK KO tires that were more suited for off-road. The Yukon also came equipped with two front tow hooks and a rear hitch/tow package.
Since that time, I have owned two 4X4 Chevy Pickups, which were similarly equipped. They both also had metal plates for undercarriage protection. During this same period (until two weeks ago) I also owned one more Yukon and two more Tahoe’s. I had a cabin where I hauled equipment including chippers, tractors and skid steer loaders to work on the property. I also used the trucks to haul logs and move firewood. Most of this work was off road.
After the last major hike of the season on the East Side of the Sierra Nevada, I decided my 2005 Chevy crew cab Duramax was no longer needed since we had sold our property and it took up a huge amount of space in the garage.
I was looking for a used late model Tahoe and found one near home. It was a 2017 with lots of miles but certified OK. I was given a good trade-in for my truck and drove home in my new used 4X4 Tahoe.
I am happy with the horsepower and mileage from the 5.3-liter engine. The ride is great but there are lots of changes that really upset me. There are no longer front tow hooks. The front spoiler is too low to the ground. The four-wheel drive does not have low range any longer on the standard models. To put it bluntly, I no longer have an off-road vehicle. The All Season tires are really made for highway use.
Now, I talked to the parts man at the Chevy dealer and my Tahoe will not take skid plates or front tow hooks. If I take off the front spoiler, I could void the warranty since is also directs air to cool the engine. I can no longer use chains because I have 18-inch wheels. I have to use cables.
The Z71 off road package is available on the Tahoe’s and Yukon’s again and there is no air dam in the front of those vehicles. However even on the smaller and full size trucks, the current package is not much more than decals. These vehicles are not suited to off road travel either.
I went to a 4X4 shop and they essentially told me that they could elevate the body and put on bigger tires, add tow hooks and take off the front spoiler. They could also put metal shields under the Tahoe. But…. He would not guarantee that my warranty would not be affected. Frankly I don’t think most folks who want a SUV that will also go off road care one whit about gas mileage. I’m not talking about one of those crazy OHV that navigate the Dusy-Ershim Trail. Many of the trailheads in the eastern Sierra Nevada have “roads” to get there that do require high clearance and 4-wheel drive. That is all that I am asking to do. Any Ideas? What happened GM?

The Good Old Days











The Problem: Front Air Dam Too Low 
No Front Tow Hooks



The Solution: Cutting Off A Portion Of The Valence 
Adding Two OEM Tow Hooks
I Also Added The 2 Cross Pieces To The Roof Rack
Which Also Used To Be Standard  
   

And I ordered the front OEM Skid Plate from and installed by the dealer. ONLY the Z71 Off Road Tahoes are drilled AND tapped for the 4 bolts which have to be ordered extra at about $9.00 per bolt. My Tahoe was drilled but the dealer technicians had to tap the holes.
Now I am ready to drive to the trailheads in the Sierra Nevada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment