Translate

Friday, December 8, 2017

The Sony A7R3 And Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Lens

Dale Matson

Click On Photographs To Enlarge

A7R3 With Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8

I’ve had the new Sony A7R3 for a week and have been impressed with the focus speed compared to the A7R2. This is not a camera review but I seem to do all right finding my way around the A7R3 because of my familiarity with the A7R2. I have used the camera mostly with the Sony FE 100-400mm GM lens with the 1.4X teleconverter. I have been satisfied with the sharpness but have not had an opportunity to photograph much wildlife which is why I bought the lens and teleconverter in the first place. The A7R3 autofocus is faster than the A7R2 but in low light I don’t find that it can autofocus on distant objects, like the far shore of a lake, any better than the A7R2. But…It simply is not a low- light lens especially with the 1.4X teleconverter added.
Today I wanted to see how sharp, front to back, my photographs would be using my Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 lens. I have found this lens to be very dependable, fast and sharp. I would add that it seems to me the Batis lens has improved color on the A7R3 from the A7R2. I’m not sure why the 85mm lens always seemed to have subdued color compared to the other Zeiss lenses I have used.
The BIF shots were sharply focused but small since this is really not a wildlife lens. The day was hazy and the air was bad. The bird shots were cropped. All but one outside photograph was taken at Millerton Lake near my home. It is a half million acre foot reservoir. The Eagles are yet to arrive from their home at Great Slave Lake in Canada. Many overwinter at Millerton Lake.

Indoor Shot
1/160 2.8 1,600
 Photographed On The Way To Millerton Lake
 Historic Millerton Courhouse

 Dam

 Pincushion Mountain









 Lava Table-Original Level Of The San Joaquin River
Winchell Cove Marina






 Red Tailed Hawk

Seagulls

I Took This Shot The Following Day With The 16-35 2.8 GM Lens
And This Shot Of A Juvenile Bald Eagle Today With The 100-400 GM.

No comments:

Post a Comment