Translate

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Brooks Glycerin Running shoes: Jumping The Shark On Prices

Dale Matson

There is an excellent and comprehensive review of the Brooks Glycerin 12 running shoes here: http://www.solereview.com/brooks-glycerin-12-review/

Too bad I didn't read the review before getting the model 12. In the late 90s, after a long-term relationship with Nike Air Pegasus running shoes, I began having knee pain and a chronically sore heel cord. I tried other shoes but was limited to a neutral platform because I am one of those rare birds who supinate (feet roll to the outside) rather than pronate. Additionally, I have needed trainers that were well cushioned because of the high mileage I used to run (60+ miles a week). After beginning the Kettle Moraine 100 mile endurance run in a pair of Asics running shoes, I had to switch to a new pair of Brooks Glycerin running shoes after about 40 miles because of knee pain in 2,000. The rest is history since that has been my running shoe of choice since that time.

I've gotten quite a bit of ribbing over the years from fellow runners who laughed at the butt ugly colors Brooks came out with when the new models were introduced. The sizing and platform were so dependable that I could remove the sock liners; shove in my orthotics and run a marathon in brand new shoes. I usually changed out my shoes every 400 miles or so and you could see how the midsole would become more brittle and compressed at the end of the shoe life. I became a trail runner for many reasons but one reason was the forgiving nature of dirt when compared with asphalt or worse yet, concrete. I believe I have run extra years because of the running surface. I would also note parenthetically that being the correct weight and cross training is the best hedge against running injuries.

I ran in the new model 12 today and immediately noticed during my warm up walk that they were less cushioned than the model 11s. I’m sure you all know the ‘bounce’ you feel in a new pair of running shoes. In all my years of running with the Glycerine, I found this to be the first pair that caused heel problems. My left heel had a hot spot and pain after my 12-mile run today and I could feel my heel moving back and forth sideways as I ran. The running endorphins masked the pain while I was running. Well, I was not running but its not walking either. the scenery still comes at me fast at age 70. There is also no reflectivity for low light visibility.

The new price is simply outrageous. What a huge investment (I just bought a nice pair of waterproof insulated boots for $100.00). With the CA sales tax, I paid out over $160.00 for the Glycerin shoes. There is nothing in the technology or quality of this shoe to justify that price. I have always been willing to live with the ugly colors. I noticed that Berkshire-Hathaway bought out Brooks in 2013. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with my complaints but if you read the review, there are a lot of harsh comments by other runners about the model 12s. Brooks needs to attend to this ASAP. Until they do, I will be returning my model 12’s and running in my old model 11’s until the ‘new’ model 11s that I just ordered arrive. Brand loyalty only goes so far. Thanks for the memories Brooks but if you keep this up, I will say fare thee well. I will take the money from my returned shoes and buy a new wetsuit. Can you imagine that items like a wet suit and waterproof insulated boots are less expensive than a pair of running shoes?



2 comments:

  1. After beginning the Kettle Moraine 100 mile endurance run in a pair of Asics running shoes, I had to switch to a new pair of Brooks Glycerin ... brooksglycerin.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthias,
    I'm not sure what your point is. The Brooks Glycerin running shoes I used in 2,000 were much different than the model 12 shoes of today. I am older also.

    ReplyDelete