Translate

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Hiking The Woodchuck Trail Out Of Wishon Reservoir


Dale Matson
Click On Photographs To Enlarge


The Woodchuck trailhead is about a two-hour drive from Fresno on Highway 168 to Dinkey Creek Road in Shaver Lake to the McKinley Grove Road by Dinkey Creek. After crossing the Wishon Reservoir on the dam, the trailhead (about 6,700’ elevation) is about .4 miles further on the left. There is a bathroom available.

This was my first hike on the Woodchuck Trail and I had a sense of sadness since my former experiences with the Wishon area involved a search for a missing hiker who fell to her death and was found by the YOSAR search team on the third day of our search. I wrote about this search in my book “Seeking The Lost: Stories Of Search And Rescue”.

There have been afternoon storms in the higher elevations recently and portions of the trail were covered in about 2” of snow. No rain was predicted for the day of the hike. It was a chilly 29 F degree start with cloudless skies. As with most trails in the Sierra National Forest, the trail was littered with debris and fallen trees. This is somewhat unfair since most trails are a mess after the winter season.

My intent was to go to Woodchuck Lake (or Chimney Lake as a shorter plan B). I had reviewed the maps and read about the hike in a Sierra South hiking book. The distances were given as 8 miles to Woodchuck Lake. With an early start, I figured it would be a hard but doable push round trip. And this is where I question the distances from the book. Did the authors actually measure this hike or did they scale if from a topographical map? I used both a Suunto Ambit II and a Garmin Oregon and found the distances to be considerably farther. I never got to Moore Boys Camp, which was supposed to be about 6 miles from the start. I turned back at 6.52 miles by my Ambit, which is stingy with mileage and 7.5 miles by my Oregon. I guessed that I had missed the trail junction at the boys’ camp but when I downloaded my route, I had not even got that far yet. I hope the “Tom Harrison Maps” folks do a map for this area. They use a wheel to measure the distances. His maps are pretty dependable.

With several large trees across the trail and no real vistas, this was a bit of a disappointment for this solitary hiker. I spooked a small deer herd and realized that in an area where hunting is allowed, the animals are more timid than those in the national parks. Bugs were not a problem but I always carry bug spray. There were dependable water sources outbound starting at Woodchuck Creek.

Most of the outbound trail is climb and my Garmin indicated 2,537’ of elevation gain overall on my route. On the return leg, there is a hard climb on tired legs after re-crossing Woodchuck Creek. Once you reach the ridge that parallels Wishon Reservoir, the trail is civilized with gentle rollers. The best place I found for crossing Woodchuck Creek is upstream from the “trail” sign. There is another place further outbound where I just decided to wade the stream with no evident opportunity for a dry crossing.

This was a trial run for me since I plan on doing an overnight with my sons at Woodchuck Lake this summer. It looks very doable and I hope the sights will be better at the lake. For me, the Woodchuck Trail is mostly about destination not the view along the way.



 Wishon Reservoir

 Woodchuck Creek

 Snow Plants 

 Campsite Above Woodchuck Creek Far Side Outbound
 No Dry Crossing

 Seasonal Assurance Markers
 I Crossed Upstream From This Sign


 Bear and Coyote Track Together





 Frozen Water On Brush


 Trail Follows Road For Short Distance






  

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Jessica. Seems like there would be snow on the trail yet. I guess the seasonal gate in Dinkey Creek across McKinley Grove Road is open now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale, thanks so much for this information. I'm looking at heading up to Wishon this weekend (may 11-12). Do you expect snow to still be lingering around then? Will the streams be flowing too strongly for fly fishing? I'm new to the area so trying to figure out the mountain climate (lived in Chicago my whole life). I hit up Blackrock Reservoir last weekend; no snow perfect weather, but NF of Kings was flowing way too hard to try to fish it.
    Thanks again!!
    -Darin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Darin,
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/home/?cid=stelprdb5399344 According to the information on the Forest Service website, McKinley Grove Road off Dinkey Creek Rd. is open.The Woodchuck trail crosses Woodchuck Creek but it is a steady climb from the trailhead and I would bet lots of snow before you ever get to the creek. the creek is probably an uncrossable raging torrent right now. The road to Courtright Reservoir off Mckinley Grove Road is still closed. I have only been as far as Balch Camp and Blackrock seemed a bit tricky to get to. By the way, one of the creeks that flow into the North Fork of the Kings is Dinkey Creek. When I wrote this story (2015) there was a lower snowfall year too. Here is a tip for Midwesterners. The mountains make their own weather. (Former Michigander)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Legend has it that the Woodchuck area was named by Midwesterners who mistook the Marmots for Woodchucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your info. I was just telling my youngest son about my first backpacking trip (to Woodchuck in 1977). No electronics (GPS, etc.) in those days, but I do remember it was a long, grueling ~12 hour hike uphill (especially bad with my novice 100 lb. backpack!). Great memories though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete