Translate

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Views Of Millerton Lake And The San Joaquin



Dale Matson

Click On Photographs To Enlarge

Big Bend San Joaquin River

I drove to Millerton Lake recently and hiked along the San Joaquin River Trail beginning at the Finegold day use area. I was checking to see if a newer nest was, in fact abandoned by the nesting pair of Bald Eagles. It was the 2nd year the pair used this nest not far from the old nest that had been the home for many generations of young Bald Eagles.
I had my trusty long lens with me in case the eagles had come back since the last time I was in the area but after sitting for a spell, it was obvious that there were no Bald Eagles in the area. In fact, it was evident that the nest had not been used for quite a while.
I brought my Zeiss Batis 135mm 2.8 lens along and all of the shots are with this lens and Sony A7R3. I drove to Millerton quite early in the morning so my Millerton Lake shots from Sky Harbor Road are a bit dim. I noticed that the San Joaquin, like other bodies of water often appear green from above. I was especially taken in by the wake pattern on the river from a powerboat as it went by down below the trail.
Millerton is about 80% full as I write this and the green countryside is beginning to take on the golden glow of California hillsides in the summer.

 Millerton Lake Early Morning


 Golden Eagle Real Estate

 Finegold Creek Junction


 Pincushion Mountain
 Wake Pattern From Boat

 Old Eagle Nest Tree No Longer Viable


 Pincushion Mountain Above SJR Trail



No comments:

Post a Comment