Translate

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Day Hike To Lower Horton Lake Near Bishop CA



Dale Matson

Click On Photographs To Enlarge

Route

This hike is about 8 miles round trip from the trailhead. From where I parked below the trailhead (see waypoint #1 on map), the distance was 9 miles round trip with about 2,500’ of ascent. The top elevation was 10,033’.
Take highway 168 west from Bishop (Line Street). After about 7-8 miles you will come to Buttermilk road on your right. Take Buttermilk road until you see a sign for the Horton Lake trailhead. There will be a second sign directing you further on. None of my topographical maps actually show the trailhead so I marked my route on the TNP map to indicate where the actual “road” ends and the trail begins.
Buttermilk road is popular with folks into bouldering. The drive provides beautiful views of Mounts, Tom, Basin, Humphreys, Emmerson and the Piute Crags. The hike route takes you between Mt. Tom and Mt. Basin.
If you have a high clearance 4X4 get as close to the trailhead as possible. There are only about three parking spots close to the trailhead. I parked a half mile below the trailhead which resulted in an additional mile of hiking. There is a nice spot in a grove of trees above where I parked where two or three vehicles could park. This is also pasture land with cows AND bulls. One bull was giving me a long look as I passed by treading lightly and avoiding eye contact.
The trail was originally a mining road which means that the switchbacks are long but the grade is civilized. I don’t recommend “cutting” the switchbacks. The shorter distance is offset by the energy expended. I recommend long pants for the buckbrush along the trail and for the mosquitos in the wet areas. Bring insect spray.
The climb up the canyon is essentially exposed, dry and hot. I marked the map with where a footbridge crosses a creek. If you have a means to filter or purify the water, that is a good place to resupply in addition to Horton Lake. You will still want at least 2 water bottles.
Horton Creek flows below the trail and forms a pond and two waterfalls which can be heard from the trail.
There are remains of buildings near the footbridge associated with the extinct Sunny Boy Mine above. There are a couple of empty cabins near Horton Lake also. Those hiking the southside route to attempt a summit of Mt. Tom also use this trail.
The Tom Harrison Mono Divide High Country map shows a trail on the north side of Lower Horton Lake that goes up (about 1,000’) to Upper Horton Lakes (about 1.8 miles). I mention this because none of my other Topographical maps show this trail.
I only saw one other hiker on this trail. I got a late start coming from Fresno that morning. I recommend an early start. This is a lesser known trail but it was on my bucket list for a couple of years. The up-side to an exposed trail is the view.
I used my Sony A7R3 with the Sony 16-35mm GM 2.8 Lens for these photos.

 Mt. Humphreys
 Mt. Basin
 Mt. Tom

 Unpaved Buttermilk Road

 1st Sign
 2nd Sign

 Trailhead






Merriam Peak Right Of Center?

 Waterfall
 Pond Below Trail Formed By Horton Creek
 Cabin By Horton Lake
 Horton Lake


 Extinct Mining Camp
Nearing Trailhead Inbound 




No comments:

Post a Comment