Translate

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Sequoia National Park South Entrance Area



Dale Matson

Click On Photographs To Enlarge

Hospital Rock

I have driven into Sequoia Park via the southern entrance (past the town of Three Rivers) a number of times. In the Spring, one is greeted with beautiful Yucca Plants lining both sides of the road called “The Generals’ Highway". And there is the roaring Marble Fork of the Kaweah River alongside. I have a photo on my wall of the Yuccas on a misty morning.
I was there yesterday during free time from a clergy retreat at St. Anthony’s Retreat Center. I was thinking because it was a relatively clear day, that I would climb Moro Rock for photographs. As it turned out, there was a construction blockage before Moro Rock.
I found a sweet spot prior to that near what is called “Hospital Rock”. Hospital Rock is a favorite of local climbers. By the time you get to that spot, you have already gotten glimpses of Mono Rock and Alta Peak. There is a parking and picnic area below Hospital Rock which was named by Hale Tharp an early explorer because of two accidents that needed   medical treatment. There is a large monolithic rock along the strenuous climb to Alta Peak (11,207’) named after Tharp. http://www.redwoodhikes.com/SequoiaNP/Alta.html
This area was inhabited by the Potwisha Native Americans. In fact, there were two other tribes in the area, the Mono and Yokut.
In addition to the view of the rock, there is a pictograph right across the Generals’ Highway from the parking area. On that same side of the highway, there is a trail down to the Marble Fork of the Kaweah River. At the trailhead, there is an informational sign and several grinding holes in a large rock used by the Native Americans.
There is a lovely viewing platform constructed of river rock which would be quite a sight in the Spring when the river is flowing at its height. There are about three other forks to the Kaweah River that all flow into Lake Kaweah.
Once again, our parks encircle and preserve both beauty and history. Even a short stop can provide quite an experience.  Photos taken with the Sony RX1R2.


 Moro Rock























  

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed these photos and your commentary. That is the area where I spent much of teen years after I got my driver's license. My buddies and I went swimming near there in the summer. There was a deep pool below where water spilled off a large boulder, which we jumped from. The water was crystal clear and cold but felt great when it was 100 degrees out. We also "rode" the flume, a narrow man-made aquaduct that brought water down stream. We'd climb in and shoot down the flume for several hundred yards, climb out and walk on the scaffolding back and then do it all over again. It was a blast. The joy turned creepy once when I discovered dragonfly larvae were also in the flume. They look like the critter that Khan put in Chekov's ear! (Though Wrath of Khan didn’t come out until 10 years later).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Van+,
    I made the template wider for this blog and Soundings to better accommodate the narrative and make room to enlarge photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Van+,
    Send me an email so I have a current email address. I see you have been busy with St. Austin's Press. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new format looks great from my phone. I'll check it out later on my ancient laptop. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete