Translate

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Courtright Vista And Reservoir



Dale Matson

Click On Photographs To Enlarge

Courtright Reservoir

I have postings on Courtright for 2016 and 2018 so why do it again? This was a big snow winter and the road to Courtright just opened up. I also used both my Sony A7R3 and A9. Finally, I came later in the day to get the more favorable sunlight which meant that leaving for home at 7pm got me back to Fresno at 9pm.
When you first get to Shaver Lake Village on Highway 168, you will see a sign on your right that states “Dinkey Creek”. Turn here and follow it until you see a sign for “McKinley Grove Road”. Turn right and almost immediately you will cross over Dinkey Creek. Stay on this road until you see a sign for Courtright Road to your left before you get to Wishon Reservoir. It is another 8-mile climb to Courtright. Before you drop down to the reservoir, you will see a “Vista” sign to your right. This is a great vista with some signage and information. You will not be able to see the lake yet from this vista.
I brought my dinner up with me and had an enjoyable meal in the cool 68-degree air at over 8,000’. There were two Hmong families having their dinner and fishing near the dam. I had my long lens for the vista and for any eagles or Ospreys that might show up.
If you cross over the dam (very carefully!) with your vehicle, it will take you to both campsites and a major trailhead (Maxson), The Southern terminus of the infamous “Dusy Ershim 4X4 Trail is also there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWgjZUUMKM

I have taken the Maxson Trail on a day hike to Hobler Lake https://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/2015/05/day-hike-from-courtright-reservoir-to.html
And backpacking to Red Mountain Basin and Hell For Sure Pass.

It may be summer in Fresno but it is still Spring up there and the mosquitoes are abundant. I saw lots of folks near the dam sitting in lawn chairs just enjoying the cool of the evening. There are quite a few campsites on both sides of the dam along the lake.
I posted a video of this here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Oy7gx4EqI










































1 comment:

  1. Courtright road is open.https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/home/?cid=stelprdb5399344

    ReplyDelete