Translate

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Millerton Lake Shot Of The Day: Red Tailed Hawk


Millerton Lake Shot Of The Day: Red Tailed Hawk
Dale Matson

Click On Photograph To Enlarge



The Millerton Lake rangers know my truck. I get my money out of the annual state park pass fee of over $100.00. In addition to our weekly swims 6 months out of the year, I am there with my camera prowling the Fresno and Madera County sides of the lake, looking for wildlife and landscape opportunities. You really can’t “sneak up” on a raptor since they can see you from over a mile away. Even 10 power binoculars only even things up. Last winter however, I was amazed that a juvenile bald eagle let me walk right under the tree he was perched in. I got some nice photos and when he flew away it was because a mature bald eagle had decided to take his place while I was under the tree, not because he was stressed by my presence.
Most of the time, I have my 100-400mm lens on my camera. If someone called me a “bird brain”, I wouldn’t be insulted since I have learned somewhat how to think like a bird. After a few years, I know where the raptors hang out and when they show up. About 10am in the morning, the updrafts along the cliffs will beckon the Goldens to that area where they will perch for most of the day, periodically soaring in lazy circles.
The morning is when raptors are most active and feeding. The majority of their day is spent roosting. I can generally depend on an area where there is a prominent tree, a ready food source and no distractions. They can also keep an eye out for competition. It is common for a mature eagle to steal the prey from a younger one or from an osprey. The resident eagles don’t pay much attention to the fishermen. They sit in the tree until the moment is right, launch toward the coots and circle them until they get the one they want. Once they have a coot, they will generally take it back to the tree and begin plucking it as their talons squeeze the life and blood out of the coot.

This is a good time for photos since an eagle does not want to be interrupted during a meal. It also does not want to go to the bother of carrying the prey to another location or to have it stolen along the way.
I have seen some resident Bald and Golden eagles lately but have not had my camera available at the time. I did run into this Red-Tailed Hawk this past week and was able to get a close up as I was driving by. It seems like often wildlife will allow you to get closer in your vehicle than if you tried walking up on them.
I used my Sony A7R3 and the 100-400mm GM lens with a 1.4X TC. The light was not optimal but the distance was.
I also got some video of an Egrets and Coots together.


No comments:

Post a Comment