Translate

Friday, April 10, 2020

Trail Shoe Update: Salomon Speedcross IV vs V.


Dale Matson

Click On Photograph To Enlarge

Salomon Speedcross V

         I guess I am one of the last to get the word on changes. I had been having trouble getting my color preference in my Salomon Speedcross IV Trail shoes. And then I noticed Salomon had updated to the Speedcross V.
I have used the Salomon Speedcross III shoes and did a review comparing the Speedcross III to the Speedcross IV shoes here: https://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/2014/02/trail-running-shoes-and-lightweight.html#comment-form
         I must admit that I have not run in the Salomon shoes since the model III. I have used them on trails and for backpacking on trails. I have not used them off trail that much but when I do, I use them with trekking poles.
         I thought I would pass along some thoughts about the Speedcross V shoes. I understand from others that they are a great mud/snow shoe because of the deeper cleats. Most of the trails I am on are not muddy and having deeper cleats mean that I trip more on roots and rocks in the V’s.
         A lot of comments have been made about the slightly heavier weight in the V’s and I notice it. Additionally, I don’t like the feel of the shoe on my feet. They don’t seem to “surround” my foot as well. They don’t seem as stable on side slopes and the upper mesh means a sloppier fit for my size 12 feet. One reviewer said the V’s were slippery on wet rocks. I thought I left that problem behind when I adopted the IV’s.
         Sorry, but I don’t see the V as an improvement after about 300 miles walking in them. Guess I’ll live with lousy colors and the cheaper IV’s after this as long as I can.

 Worn Lugs On Outside Of Heal


No comments:

Post a Comment