Translate

Friday, December 25, 2020

Millerton Eagle Close Up: December 2020

Dale Matson

Click on Photographs To Enlarge





I apologize for the three weeks between postings. Millerton Lake is as low as I have ever seen it and the eagles have taken up new spots closer to the water to hunt for fish and coots. I recently discovered two new locations closer to the water and was able to approach a second-year bald eagle. The eagle let me get within 25 feet and I had my Sony 200-600mm lens with a 1.4X TC on it. Combined with my Sony A7R4, I could even shoot cropped for even closer shots. As I have said before, telephoto lenses are to make close shots closer. 

I was able to photograph this eagle near the Friant Dam and again near boat launch one. I was able to see about where it landed after it flew from the dam area. The eagle was cooperative and was actually still there when I had gotten all of the photos I wanted. I like it that way.

Because of Covid, there will be no Eagle Boat Tour this year. That is unfortunate because that is where I get a sense for where the eagles are hanging out. There is one cove on the Fresno County side of the lake where there is a group of about 50 coots. I have seen them in the same spot for three weeks but for some reason the eagles are not perched on that area of the shore.

I was hoping to see some first year juveniles from the nest I photographed last Spring but have not seen any yet.










No comments:

Post a Comment