Translate

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Millerton Lake Hawk Close Up


Dale Matson

Click On Photographs To Enlarge





    This is the season where the Bald Eagles begin to return to Millerton Lake for their seasonal visit from Great Slave Lake in Canada. Most visiting eagles should be here by January 1st. I have not seen any eagles foreign or domestic on my last couple of visits. The lake is very low right now with no rain/snow in the forecast. It seems like there is as much shore as lake!

    However, there are Hawks and I had a nice Red-Tailed Hawk to photograph today. I think this hawk is an old timer and remember the same bird letting me get close a couple of years ago.

    I was walking on the Blue Oak trail with my Sony A9 and 100-400mm GM lens. It’s not my biggest telephoto but it’s my most portable. 

    What was amazing that the hawk let me get within 15 or so feet. I got lots of photographs and went on my way, walking to Winchell Point and back. That is about 1.5 miles round trip. Imagine my surprise when the Hawk was still there, so I got even more close ups. What continues to amaze me is how few photographs showed both eyes. In some cases, the one eye was in the shadows and in other cases it was a side view. Anyway, the hawk was there when I left also. I like that.

    Boy, would I love to get a photograph of an eagle that close!

































No comments:

Post a Comment