Translate

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Bald Eagle Nest At Kerckhoff Reservoir.



Dale Matson

Bald Eagle On Branch To Right Of Nest

I am always glassing for eagle nests, especially this time of year when there are often chicks. Last week I was at Kerckhoff Reservoir and noticed a bald eagle on a nest. That became a ‘recon’ for my hike with Sharon and me today. Kerckhoff is about 35 miles from Fresno.
I wrote about Kerckhoff and Redinger (the next lake up the San Joaquin River from Kerckhoff here: https://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/2017/02/sights-along-san-joaquin-river-from.html
Kerckhoff is small for reservoirs on the San Joaquin, impounding only about 4,052-acre feet of water. There is a nice campsite/picnic area at Smalley Cove but it is currently closed due to Covid 19.
Sharon and I walked along the shore following fisherman trails and got closer to the nest which was on the other side of the lake. At first the adult was on a branch by the nest then went into the nest. My 200-600mm lens with a 1.4X teleconverter and cropped gave me decent photos. This included the appearance of one chick who popped up for a brief period of time.
Sharon took the two landscape photos with her Sony pocket zoom camera.




 Chick Left Of Adult 



 Sharon's photos


No comments:

Post a Comment