Translate

Saturday, September 5, 2020

Panoramic Point and Park Ridge Fire Lookout Trail: Kings Canyon


Dale Matson

         For the particulars on this hike see Here:

 

https://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/2015/07/park-ridge-fire-lookout-trail-kings.html

        

Hike Route
 

 

         I did this hike August 12th of this year as my final warm up hike before a big hike in the eastern Sierra Nevada. I did the hike twice before but did not have the big lens I used on this hike. I used the Sony 200-600mm with my A7R4. I also used the 1.4X TC and shot cropped to give me about 1,200 mm.

         The air was partly smoke filled which meant that I was magnifying bad air but it was amazing to see some of the major features from the west instead of the east side of the Sierra.

         The hike is about 5.5 miles round trip with considerable climb and descent as the trail generally follows the ridge. It is about the same elevation (about 7,500’) at Panoramic Point as it is at the fire lookout. The fire lookout is closed due to Covid this year. I had a leisurely pace and took about 4 hours round trip. There is one place where the trail is somewhat overgrown with buck brush and Manzanita and two places where the trail follows the service road for a time. I missed the turnoff to the right and hiked further on the fire road than I should have so I hiked an extra mile. You can see my error on the map.


Middle Fork Kings River
Palisade Crest North Palisade High Point Center
Hume Lake



Buck Rock Fire Lookout












Mount Goddard


 

No comments:

Post a Comment