Translate

Saturday, July 3, 2021

Lamarck Col As A Day Hike: A Bridge Too Far


Dale Matson

Click On Photographs To Enlarge



Hike Route

Five years ago, I reported on a day hike to Lamarck Lakes

 https://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/2016/07/day-hike-to-lamarck-lakes.html

In 2016 with a 6am start, I got to Upper Lamarck Lake and was home in Fresno in 12 hours. So, it seemed very doable to get to Lamarck Col with a 5am start this year. I could get to Lamarck Col and back down in 12 hours or so and spend the night in Bishop again.

I got off to a good start and felt pretty good when I arrived at Upper Lamarck Lake. I did have to do some backtracking and cross the outlet creek to continue on the trail to the lake. I made note of the Lamarck Col junction sign as I approached Upper Lamarck Lake. I took a break there and switched from my 50mm lens to my 24mm lens. I then headed back on the trail toward the Lamarck Col sign and realized I had left my 50mm lens at the lake. I was able to find it and crossed the creek at the Lamarck Col sign. 

Although it is a use trail at this point, it is not difficult to follow the seemingly countless switchbacks up another 1,000’ feet of climb. And then the thunder began. As I looked down the next section of trail, a narrow trail descent, I weighed whether to continue or turn back. I was fatigued but not exhausted. However, in the immortal words of the sage Vince Lombardi, “Fatigue makes cowards of us all”. I used the approaching storm as my final excuse but frankly, if I had been with another hiker, I probably would have continued. 

So, as with so many of my other hikes, this turned into a “recon” for a future hike to Lamarck Col. It took me three separate attempts to finally do Birch Lake on the third attempt last year. I would have turned around a third time if Steve Yeager had not been with me. The lesson learned is to do this as an overnight and camp at Upper Lamarck Lake. I think the day hikes of 12 miles with 4,000’ of gain are over for this 76-year-old.

Since I had paid for a room in Bishop for two nights, I drove back and took a two-hour nap and drove home to Fresno. It rained from Mammoth lakes half way through Yosemite.  

I used a Sony A7C Camera with the new 24 2.8mm and 50 2.5mm lenses.























No comments:

Post a Comment