Translate

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Saddlebag Hummingbird and Odell Lakes 2022

20 Lakes Basin 2022

Dale Matson

Click on Photographs to Enlarge

Hike Route

    This is my second visit to 20 Lakes Basin in the Hoover Wilderness. I recorded my first visit 6 years ago Here:

https://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/2016/09/20-lakes-basin.html There are more particulars in that article.

6 years ago, I didn’t complete the whole loop but added Conness Lakes. Did you know that you can see Mt. Conness from the west end of Tioga Lake? This time I wanted to hike to Odell, Hummingbird and Helen Lakes to finally complete the loop. However, the water in Saddlebag Lake is too low for the ferry to run this year, so I had to hike over two miles along the east side of Saddlebag Lake to get to the beginning of the loop trail. The trail along the West side of Saddlebag Lake looked to have more snow. This hike is all above 10,000’ and my watch indicated about 1,300’ of gain along the 6.5 mile out and back course that I took. I was out for about 5 hours.

There were some snow patches along the trail, especially as I got closer to Odell Lake. I began to tire as I reached Odell Lake so, I turned back on the trail once I got to Odell Lake. Helen Lake will have to wait for another time, an earlier start and less snow.

I took photographs and video of my hike with my Sony A1 camera, the Sony/Zeiss 16-35mm f4 lens and the Son 85mm 1.8 lens. 


Saddlebag Lake





Author


North Peak
Mt. Conness


Odell Lake


Hummingbird Lake



No comments:

Post a Comment