Translate

Sunday, June 12, 2022

White Bark Vista 2022

White Bark Vista 2022

Dale Matson

Click On Photographs To Enlarge

Edison Lake Below Red And White Mountain

The more things change, the more they stay the same. (Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr). I think I have made this trip every Spring since 2015. https://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/2015/05/white-bark-vista-near-huntington-lake.html

Seven years ago I was using the Sony A7R camera and now I am using the Sony A1. I think I have taken photographs also with the A7R2, A7R3, and A7R4. I used a combination of lenses in 2015 and later. This time I only brought my 100-400 GM lens. Frankly the photos from 2015 are nicer to look at since the air is clear and the clouds are great over the mountains.

Kaiser Pass Road to Florence and Edison Lakes opened Memorial Day this year and I suspected I could drive the one mile to White Bark Vista from Kaiser Pass. As I surveyed the beginning of the road, there was no snow but there were huge pot holes in the gravel “road” that leads to White Bark. I decided to park near the potties at Kaiser Pass and walk the two miles round trip. There is about a 275-foot gain outbound and at above 9,000’ it was a bit tough for me this year. I am not trail fit yet. While I have a 4X4 truck with good clearance, I thought it better to hoof it.

The view was hazy and there was not much snow in the mountains. Unfortunately, there were no clouds either. This will be a dry summer in the Sierra. The view is of the central Sierra from Banner/Ritter in the North to Mt. Givens in the near South. If you hike the first portion of the OHV 31-mile Dusy-Ershim Trail to Courtright Reservoir, you can cut off and climb Mt. Givens (10,600’) for a slightly different view. There is no established trail but some cairns.  https://midsierramusing.blogspot.com/2015/08/mt-givens-day-hike-2015.html You still can't see Florence Lake from there.

If you have a smart phone, you can get the “Peak Finder” App and it will show you the names of the mountains you are looking at.


Mt. Givens








Mammoth Mountain

Banner Ritter



The last three photos were using the Peak Finder App on my I phone. The North Photo did not align with the mountains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSUHZ8rSTM4 have a brief video panorama on YouTube.







No comments:

Post a Comment